After being fixtures of the Scorching Events scene for many years, two regulars have upped sticks and scene left the shores of Aotearoa in order to regroup in Canadia. Angels kindly paid for an all expenses trip for Ember to travel to Canadia to catch up with Celine Evans and Tony Buckingham.
1. Smouldering Ember – How is the family settling into Canadia?
Celine Evans – We have a truck and a trailer. So we are on the way for our big trip. Have seen the picture on Facebook, the truck is bigger than my house. – SE)
2. SE – Are the kids learning French?
CE – Yes they are currently in full emersion with Celine’s family .. Tony is also in full emersion but the kids understand what is going on. (This means Celine and the kids will be able to talk about you now Tony so you had better learn French. SE)
3. SE – Tony, I suppose you are pleased to be out of the Scorching events as I was catching up to you. However do you not think emigrating is a bit of an over reaction?
Tony Buckingham – Ah yep just needed some softer competition
4. SE – Celine, is Canadia how you remember it or has it shrunk in size?
CE – The tree line is shrinking by the day with the current forest fires, but the pool in Kits is the same size 137m long. (I like that, 137m length. Why stick with boring 25m, 50m or 100m, lengths. 137 – classy and confusing for your Garmin no doubt.)
5. SE – Which of the many Scorching Events you have both competed in, is your most memorable Scorching Event and why was it so special for you?
TB -Teams races have been great fun Celine even racing a number of them when pregnant.
CE – Best race for Tony was just missing 2 hours for Olympic and sub 1 hour sprint efforts.
6. SE – At the same time, there must have been some not so good events. Which was the worst and why from your perspectives?
CE – Tony has had the stress on some race mornings of looking after the kids while trying to get ready this has resulted in forgetting to pump up tires, forgetting to put out drink bottles running shoes and Garmins. (I heard that Tony forgot to bring a bike once, or is this just another rumour being started by myself – SE.)
7.SE – Tony, you are considerably hirsute. Does this slow you down? Moreover, can you get two shaves from a razor?
TB. – Always shave for race day, well the face anyway, I am giving up at least 2 mins over 40kms with my rating on the Chewbacca scale!
Tony Buckingham spotted yesterday. Tony Buckingham
8. SE – Celine, you once took me on a shopping tour to sort my diet out. You introduced me to chocolate peanut butter. I will be starting the new season 4kg heavier than last season as a result of this culinary epiphany. Just thanks. How would you like to respond to this statement?
CE – It’s all about moderation! Everything in moderation! I didn’t tell you to start eating it out of the jar with a desert spoon… (SE – Thanks for that, everything in moderation. Cancel my subscription for the long courses Daryl, Celine says I have to do the novice events. Ah, moderation!)
9. SE – I presume you have both participated in an multisport event in your new abode. What have you both been up to sporting wise? Is the bull still raging?
TB – no races yet busy getting organised trying to qualify for Penticton 2017 triathlon festival will be the next goal. I have packed my bags already. (SE – Can I crash on your settee Tony and Celine?) http://infotel.ca/newsitem/penticton-to-host-first-triathlon-festival-in-2017/it19639
10. SE – Scorching events must be a distant memory. Anybody reading this will probably be thinking who are Tony and Celine? Seriously, who do you miss the most? )
TB – Fun knowing everyone and trying to hold off the young guns!
11. SE – Naturally, I now have to implicate you both, who are you glad to see the back of? (Might have to be careful answering this one!)
TB – No one really. Could have used Locky (Lachlan Davey) having to work more Sundays during last season. (So clearly the fact Lachlan Davey will not be working on Sundays this forthcoming season means you fast machines had better watch out. At least I will be here to face you Lachlan, unlike Tony who has scarpered! – SE.)
12. SE – Tony, you always got to do more Triathlons than Celine as she was left looking after the kids. Who was your nemesis at Scorching events and why were you in competition with that person?
TB – Started off with Matthew berg but he slowed down for some reason then it was Locky. There was one season when I think I may have taken him down, but he cut the swim course and came out on top.
13 SE – Who are your sporting inspirations?
TB – Nathan Milner , James turner, Matthew Berg big names in Wellington.
14 SE – What are your favourite pasta dishes? (I have gone off curry.)
TB – Celine will give you one to post. Was always my pre-race go to.
15 SE – In 10 words or less, how would you describe Scorching Events?
TB – Fun, friendly, family run races where everyone feels welcome.
On behalf of everyone from Scorching Events, well, when I say everyone, I mean most, well some, maybe will be missing you both and wish you and your kids all the best for your Canadian adventure. We will be looking forward to the time you return back to the scintillating Scorching Bay and regale us with stories of faraway lands. I really should see more of the world. I have been overseas once to Kapiti Island. Does that count?