The Scorcher Future - This season 2016-17
We have good news and bad news
As you’re probably already aware, at the end of last season we made a tough decision that after 103 events and 13 years, to end the ‘Scorcher’ series.
The long and short of it was the reality that we needed additional financial sponsors of the series. Whether that be corporate support, local support, individual support or Council support.
This announcement lead to several people and organisations coming forward to try and help #saveourscorchers. Our grateful thanks to all of those people.
As a result, over winter we followed up every lead and introduction to see if we could attract the level of support we needed to enable the Scorcher series to continue.
Now let’s get the bad news out of the way first. The bad news is that we haven’t been able to secure the financial sponsorship at the level we required to offer the full season of Scorcher of events (9 events between August and April).
However we are making good progress.
Now for the good news. Thanks to the awesome support of a few committed people and organisations we will be able to offer a scaled back Scorcher 2016/2017 season. This will enable us to keep the series going in a revised format in the interim while we continue to search for further supporters and sponsors of the series (if anyone has any further contacts please let us know).
While it is great news that we are able to offer some events, we are keen to stress that we haven’t yet found the long term solution to keep the series alive so our search for supporters of the series remains ongoing.
However in the short term we’re excited to let you know that there will be a reduced Scorcher season of 5 events, including:
- A Duathlon
- 1 'something new' and
- 3 Triathlons including
- one Half
- Sunday 4th of September - Upper Hutt Duathlon
- Sunday 16th October 2016 - pop up event tbc
- Sunday 4th of December - Scorching Triathlon
- Sunday 22nd of January - Wellington Half
- Saturday 11th of March - Sovereign Tri Wellington
This has been made possible by the additional support we have gained from several new supporters on top of our pre-existing sponsors and supporters. We'll be sharing more about these amazing people in our next update.
However I'm sure we don't need to spell it out to you just how awesome this support and these organisations are. Without them there would be no Scorchers for the upcoming season. So please show your appreciation to these people. They aren’t just a ‘pretty’ logo on our website. They’re organisations who love the Scorchers as much as you do and who are truly making a difference to Wellington. Whether you be a first timer or a regular – it was important to them that the Scorcher series continued so you could experience it and continue to be motivated in your personal training and quest to improve your own health and wellness. That is why they have stepped forward. So make sure you THANK THEM, LIKE THEM, or HUG THEM (when we announce them).
The above dates are the bare bones of a season. If demand and more funding comes through we might hope that we can add more events.
Are you a Scorcher Saviour Foundation member?
Now along with the fantastic support of sponsors and supporters we also have always had brilliant support from YOU. Yes, you. Our Scorcher-ees. Our participants.
If you've been to a few of our events before you might be aware of a small group of 'Scorcher Life Members'. This was our way of recognising some incredible support of several participants who had completed 50 out of the first 100 events we offered. This group was closed when we hit the 100 event mark. However we're aware that outside of this group we have a healthy bunch of many more participants who are equally supportive. So we've come up with a way that you too, regardless of the number of events you've done can show your passion of the Scorcher series. You are now able to buy your own Scorcher Saviour Foundation slot which will give you a whole heap of cool perks. A bit like Koru Club. Just without the cheese and crackers. These slots are limited to 100 and each holder of a slot (along with high kudos) will get:
- to choose your own permanent race number - ie for life (between 10-99)
- you & your number will be listed on the Scorcher Saviours Board. Oh the fame! This Board will be mounted permanently in the clubrooms at Scorching Bay - along with a smaller version that will be on display at the finish of all Scorcher events (as well as on the website)
- a 10% discount on the normal Scorcher entry fees
- inclusion at each prizegiving for a special Foundation member spot prize draw for the next two years (item value to be $100-200 range) - one or two items each event. So a 1 in 100 chance of winning IF every Scorcher Foundation member turns up to prizegiving. Odds only improve from there ;)
- Never get charged a late fee for registering for a Scorcher no matter how late you enter (as long as there are places available)
- You will not have to attend the compulsory event registration and briefing the day before each event. This means you can just turn up on event morning (as a committed regular we know you know the process so allow us to reward you!).
- A special limited edition t-shirt / hoodie / clothing item unique to the Foundation member group. This will have all Saviours listed on the back, plus a personalised front with your name on it
Entries are Open NOW!
Entries are now open for all events (including the Wellington Half which sold out last season and once again will have limited places in 2017).
So jump onto the refreshed Scorching website to register your spot/s and let your friends know.
Now. Hands up if you’re happy?
Yours in training