Introducing the Scorcher Triple Challenge happening this weekend!
This totally new event brings with it a brand new format. Consider it our Christmas present to you. It will be held over a shorter course with a full road closure for the bike and run course. You get to decide if you do it once, twice or three times making it ideal for all abilities. It’ll be fun, short and sharp. Oh and if you hang out at the pointy end of the field you might also be excited to know that in another first there will be $1000 of prize money up for grabs.
MAJOR CHANGE FOR THIS WEEKEND : REGISTRATION NOW TO BE HELD ON SUNDAY MORNING
As we are starting a little later than normal (8am) we thought we’d try something different. Instead of holding registration on the day prior (Saturday) it will now be held on Sunday morning. We figured you also needed the extra day to sort out your Christmas shopping (Angel likes anything in orange BTW).
Therefore, registration will be held on Sunday at Scorching Bay from 6.30am – 7.30am. Head to the Clubrooms (the brick building with the bars on the windows…kind of a triathlete jail you could say) to pick up your race pack then. Late registrations will also be accepted space dependent on event morning. However we strongly encourage you to get there early. Arrivals at 7.28am will cause unecessary grey hairs so please help create a stress free morning by getting there early. Good behaviour may be rewarded by Santa as well as us trialing this again in the future.
Event briefing will be held at 7.40am on event morning and is COMPULSORY FOR EVERYONE.
Introducing the Scorcher Triple (new event for 2014)
The Scorcher Triple is a brand new event concept we’ve created to spice up your Christmas.
Held over a shorter course with a full road closure for the bike and run course you get to decide if you do it once, twice or three times That’s swim, bike, run, swim bike run and swim bike run.
So if you’re a new triathlete you can choose to to do the course just once or twice. Or if you fancy yourself a bit of a speed whizz you can do it three times and try and get in the top 20 who will do a 4th round to race for the prize money.
While physical in nature this event will also test your strategic decisions. If you finish the first triathlon quickly you’ll get more time to recover before the next one starts on the hour again. How will you use this time? To catch your breath, put your wetsuit back on or something else?
The event in a nutshell:
- Event distance: Swim 250m, Cycle 6.5k, Run 1.5k (note there is also a duathlon option which replaces the swim with a 1.2k run)
- You can elect to do this 1, 2 or 3 times on the morning (in the form of ‘heats’).
- The heats start at hourly intervals (ie 8am, 9am and 10am for the women, and 15 minutes later for the guys). The expected times to finish a heat are somewhere between 25 & 50 minutes. This will mean the the quickest participant will get over 30mins to ‘recover’ before the next heat (as well as the option if they want to put their wetsuits back on). The slowest will get maybe 10 minutes.
- After the Heats we will have a Grand Finale for the top 20 participants – this will start at ~11:30am.
- This will also be the first Scorcher to have a full road closure for the entire bike and run course! That alone should be great to enjoy.
- And can you still do this as a team? Yes you can – you can set up a team as per normal with one swimmer, one cyclist and one runner all taking their respective portions of each mini-triathlon
$1000 IN PRIZE MONEY IS UP FOR GRABS
We are extremely grateful for the support of Pridex Kitchens (http://www.pridexdesign.co.nz/) for contributing towards the pool of prize money.
To thank them we’ve told them that everyone on our mailing list will click on their website link placed here (http://www.pridexdesign.co.nz/) for your convenience. Please click as our mum told us to never lie.
Pridex Kitchens are run by an extremely supportive and passionate triathlon family. Their support of the Scorcher Triple is their way of giving back to the Scorcher community for the many years their family has been part of our events.
A very big thank you from the Scorcher Angels and Crew to Mike and his team. The full rules of how the prize money will be distributed will be added to our website shortly.
SCORCHER TRIPLE REMINDERS
Wednesday 17th December
* Stop procrastinating about entering for this weekend. The late fees kick in tonight! Save yourself $10 by entering before 11:59pm.
Thursday 18th December
* Want to practice open water swimming? Traction Fitness has an Open Water Swimming skills session 6pm tonight at Freyberg Beach http://tractionfitness.co.nz/swimming
Friday 19th December
* Online entries close at 6pm tonight. Enter before then to guarantee a spot otherwise you may have to wrestle for it at registration on Sunday.
Saturday 20th December
Finish your Christmas shopping
Sunday 21st December
Scorcher Registration (NEW TIME) – 6:30am -7:30am at Scorching Bay in the clubrooms
Late entries may be available (space dependent and are not guaranteed)
Remember all gear needs to be in Transition by 7:40am (irrespective of which Heat you are doing)
Race briefing will occur in transition at 7:40am
Enjoy your day!
Can you help our crew this weekend? / Can you help out with marshaling this weekend?
Please contact us and in return we can offer you a free entry for a later Scorcher. Alternatively if you’d just like to meet some new people then this is also great way to do that.
We look forward to seeing you on Sunday for this brand new event.
Yours in training